Travelling to the unique destination of India is an unforgettable experience. From the multitude of spectacular sights and sounds to the eclectic mix of Indian cultures, traditions and heritage, expect the unexpected on a holiday to India.
Great Reasons to go on Safari in India
- Admire the beautiful diversity of the Indian jungle - dense forests, fresh streams, green hills, bamboo thickets, and flower-filled valleys
- Discover the unique wildlife on interpretive jungle safaris - tiger, elephant, lion, leopard, rhino, wild deer, sloth bear, wild boar and 1400 recorded species of birds, including the peacock, Malabar hornbill and kingfisher
- Witness the land of the tiger - capture a majestic tiger on camera in one of India's 28 tiger reserves
- Marvel at the varied landscapes - majestic mountains, dense jungles, rolling hills, sacred rivers, pristine beaches, lush forests, tropical islands and arid deserts
- Experience India's royal residences - romantic palaces, forgotten forts, spiritual sites, and towering temples
- Sense each different season - the freshness of spring, the warmth of summer, the fiery tones of autumn, and the flaming torches of winter.
- Visit India's 26 World Heritage Sites - from the Taj Mahal in Agra to the Convents of Goa
- Savour India's cuisine and culture - bustling bazaars, exotic food, colourful markets and countless festivals.
- Gain a sense of spiritual wellbeing - yoga, meditation, and the healing powers of Ayurveda
The Taj Safaris Jungle Experience
Our guests experience firsthand the beautiful Indian jungle with its towering, ancient trees, enchanting chorus of forest birds, and herds of gentle chital (spotted deer). Twice-daily jungle drives are conducted in the comfort of a specially designed Tata open 4x4 safari vehicle, accompanied by an expert &Beyond trained naturalist. Shy sambar (large forest deer) are spotted slaking their thirst at clear streams. Driving out into the constantly changing terrain, panoramic vistas unfold before the eye, with sweeping grasslands and often mighty cliffs as the backdrop.
Guests delight in identifying each lodge's ten unique Star Birds. Minivets, parakeets, orioles and barbets are a beautiful sight, glistening in the morning sunlight. The Indian jungle is a birdwatcher's paradise.
The morning peace of the jungle can be abruptly interrupted by the sharp distress calls of chitals and the constant chattering of langur monkeys. This could mean a tiger is on the prowl, and perhaps guests may catch a glimpse of this endangered predator, in all its striped glory. Elephant-back safaris offered by the park authorities also provide a unique opportunity to see tigers.
The adventure continues on afternoon safaris. Bask in the early evening light, and witness a sounder of wild boar or a herd of chital in the open meadows. Pause briefly and listen to the jungle sounds as the sun gently dips over the huge horizon.
Star Mammals of Madhya Pradesh
- Dhole or wild dog
- Sloth bear
- Common grey langur
- Indian gaur
- Chital or spotted deer